Monday, April 27, 2009

English Corner

April 19, 2009

Elwin and I invited our Class 2 Sophomores over for English Corner or Fireside. We made sloppy joe for everyone and had stations for different activities. It was raining dogs and cats that day. I received a phone call from the class monitor about half an hour before they were supposed to come: "we need to cancel our appointment today" was what I heard. Why, I asked? The monitor politely told me that with the rain they were afraid they were going to make the floors at our house dirty. Also the wet umbrellas might be very unpleasant. With all the food prepared, I convinced them that it would be perfectly allright for them to come. So, they came. Of course, they came about 10 minutes early, but stood in the rain for almost 10 minutes before they knocked on the door. The Chinese politeness was amazing. We had a great time. A lot of students commented that they never had this type of opportunities to visit foreign teachers' homes.

The menu: (yes, I had some help...our house cleaning lady came to chop vegetables...it took hours of preparations to get them all cleaned and chopped)
  1. 80 hamburger buns
  2. 10 pounds of ground meat
  3. 3 pounds onions
  4. 3 pounds green peppers
  5. 3 pounds carrots
  6. 2 pounds mushrooms
  7. 4 heads of Romaine lettuce
  8. 80 hard boiled eggs
  9. other
Activities:
  1. one group watched "Smallville" with Chinese subtitles.
  2. one group did "Easter egg" decoration
  3. one group played Uno
We rotated every half an hour so everyone was able to do all the activities. It was so fun to have them.

No comments: