The 8-year medical students from Elwin's English Writing class came to visit Sunday night, October 19, 2008. The class has 36 students, so they came in two groups. Elwin asked how they decided who to come first. They said they drew lots. Apparently, whenever they couldn't decide how to divide up the group, they drew lots. Interesting! A few of them couldn't come because they had to attend mandatory political class Sunday night.
We prepared hamburgers for everyone. The students were asked to bring some chips, but they brought a lot more than chips. They brought dried fruit candies, jello cups, Chinese beef jerky, various kinds of chips that we couldn't name. The students loved the hamburgers.
It was fun helping them find American names since most of them don't have one. We named them after our family and friends making it very memorable. Since this is the 8-year medical students, meaning they were selected from the beginning to stay in the medical school until they finish and will graduate as MD's. It's group of brilliant young 20-year-old traditional college students. There are no non-traditional students in the program. One of the boys was names after our dear friend, Dr. Frank S., in St. George. One young lady was Elaine, the other Cami. They were so thrilled to have the names of our family and friends. We actually took their Chinese names and found some similar sounding American names for them. It was fun. We had Friendly Frank, Elegant Elaine, Cute Cami, Brilliant Brad, Nice Nancy, Shining Star, and so on. It was very fun and I know they'll use those American names.
We received a "thank you" note today from one of the boys. Here it is:
Dear Mr and Mrs Davis,
I'am writing here to thank you for your zealous invitation and hospitality on Sunday this week. You know it was the first time for me to have a party with foreign teachers and friends as well. I'am really very honoured.And I did enjoy the American hamburger, little cookies and the amazing games prepared by you as well.
Thanks again for the happy time you shared with us. I appreciate so much. May the joy and happiness around you and your family today and always! BEST WISHES!!!






http://hillmanwonders.com/china/chinese_phrases.htm#_map_china

3 comments:
Cool! Are you guys working way harder than anyone else has there?
I don't know. I'm so tired tonight because we just had another party for our students. This time it was for my sophomore medical students. I fixed hamburgers for them. It took a lot of time, then we played games. We did two groups because there were too many of them. We let them wear shoes in the house and had to clean, sweep and mop after the first group left. Then I did all the dishes, swept the floor, mopped the floor. I'm exhausted. But dad is even worse, he still has tons of journals to read. I'm not sure I could help him. I stayed up until midnight the last 2 nights. I'm so tired that I have dark circles under my eyes. My friend just asked if I would go to the Normal University where she teaches to do some lectures for the students tomorrow night. I'm so tired.
Love ya!
Dr. Davis. I think you will never want to come home. What an awesome experience.
Post a Comment