Thursday, October 16, 2008

A journal

A journal entry from a junior student, October 16, 2008
Childhood

Compare to other people of my age, I didn’t have a perfect childhood.
I was born in Shandong, and when I was 8 years old, all my family moved to Xinjiang (far western part of China which is mostly desert). That was the year of 1995. At that time, Xinjiang was a very remote place for all my family. I still remember we spent 5 days and 6 nights to get there. That’s really a long and only way.
Everything would begin from start. After we rented the house, and bought some necessities, there was only 50 yuan left. What’s more, the school would begin in 20 days. We have no tuition for two children. But we didn’t give up.
My father and mother worked hard for less money the daytime, and wash the used pocket (?) in Urimqi River at night. The water in Urimqi was very cold in the August nights. Even though, we can only have two meals a day. My mother also picked up some recycle rubbish to sell. In a word, the most thing I can remember in my 8 years is poor.
Several years later, we had some money. My parents began to sell vegetables along the street. At that time, we could have three meals a day, and my brother and I can give our tuitions to our teacher on time.
The years during my high school my parents didn’t sell vegetables along the street any more. Instead, my father went to the vegetable field, and transported them to the market. So we can earn several hundreds once. We buy new clothes and didn’t have to wear old clothes, which were given by others any more.
Now, I am at Shandong University. Can you guess what is the present situation of my family? To tell you the truth, the situation was just like the years when we went to Xinjiang several years earlier. My parents have to take most of their income to pay for my high tuition. Just because I’m the first college student of our family. I am their hope. I am really under high pressure both from my parents and my major. I am still in my childhood, which is like a nightmare. Just forget it.
Written by a junior in Elwin's class.

No comments: